They're not really backups.  They're more like safety copies created by GnuCash in preparation for updating the database. Back in the olde days the probability of a system r/w error when writing out a big file was a lot higher than it is now, and even today it is far from zero.

Do what David says: preferably onto another physical storage medium; desirably on a different server/computer entirely; ideally onto a different machine at a physically different location. Just having another copy of the data file on the same disk in the same machine isn't much backup at all.

Ron Morse