Adrien,

It seems to me that what you want is not an accounting solution but a
software enhancement. I believe that you need to say exactly what you
want in a bugzilla RFE. For the issue you describe below what seems to
be required is a special version of scheduled transactions which will
post a bill. Your purpose seems to be to delay the  increase in assets
and liabilities until a time period near to the date that the bill will
be paid.

I believe that you wrote something incorrect here:
> Additionally, as noted in another reply, ‘bills’ for pre-paid expenses
>should never hit AP at all. They aren’t ever liabilities. They are (as
>yet unpaid) deferred expenses, not accrued expenses.

It is not the pre-paid expenses that are being entered into AP it is the
obligation to pay for them that is in AP and that is a liability. From
an accounting perspective this is exactly what is required. The not yet
existing asset pre-paid expense is being offset by a corresponding
liability so that the net on the balance sheet is 0. Once the bill is
paid the liability is 0 and the pre-paid expense becomes real.

One other note is that this question of when to recognize an obligation
to pay is a subtle one and really requires an accounting expert familiar
with the type of business. A cash flow problem could be hidden by
manipulating recognition dates.

Dale