So, trying to work around the multi-period posting date issue in another
thread, I opted to bring in a vestige of paper accounting and utilize an
Accrued Revenue account. (otherwise known as ‘unbilled revenue’ or ‘unbilled
work’)

The guidance I found online suggested this should be a Current Asset, generally
of type A/R.

I tried to create an A/R sub-account. This worked until I tried to adjust an
invoice so it’s line items hit this Accrued Revenue account instead of an
Income account. The invoice feature won’t let me see it in the list to select
it.

So, I moved the account out of the parent A/R and placed it under Current
Assets. Still no dice.

Apparently, the account ‘type’ was ‘A/Receivable’ and the business features
look at this when deciding what to allow you to use in an invoice and bill.
This type is apparently not allowed, even though it isn’t the main A/R account
created by the Business Features and to which I do not manually post.

Note, I can *post* the invoice to the standard A/R account (or likely any other
A/R type I create) but I can’t use other A/R types for the line items. This
means contra-accounts are not allowed.

The solution was to delete the Accrued Revenue account I just created, and
re-create it with the parent Current Assets and give it type Asset. Now
everything works, but instead of being able to roll this under A/R where it
belongs, I have a flatter account tree. Now I recall a similar issue trying to
create A/P sub-accounts some months ago. There’s no point. The business
features won’t let you use them. (except to post to, you can’t use it for bill
line-items)

I suppose this behavior is intended and I understand the urge to prevent people
from using accounts that make a mess of things, but it requires yet another
work around.

Just passing this on in case anyone else runs into this.