You could do liability accounts for each utility bill but I like the
concept of 'kitty funds' which gives you/them a real-time view of monies
owed by whom.

*You pay the full $30 bill from your bank, but only $10 is your share*
Asset:Bank -$30
Expense:Utilities $10
Asset:Alice $10
Asset:Bob $10

*The $10 are your assets because you are owed $10 from each, and they can
discharge their debt anytime*
Asset:Alice -$10
Asset:Bank $10
Her balance is now $0

*Another day you buy $30 groceries but Bob asks you to buy $10 item on her
behalf*
Expense:Groceries $30
Asset:Bob $10
Asset:Bank -$40