Yes, with a performance hit, it is possible, at least with Virtualbox to
install a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit host. Mileage varies based on the host and
guest. I’ve pulled it off a few times. I don’t know however if you can run apps
that require 64-bit in such a guest without issue.

As for the other way around, I’ve never had an issue, but then I also didn’t
have the situation of the host not supporting 32-bit apps either. It’s worth a
shot I suppose to see if older but still functional hardware can be extended on
life support a bit longer.