Problem solved! i had been using an older version of gnucash, so installed the current version after totally removing the old one, including any references to it in my registry on windows 7 pro. The current version works perfectly so far as I can tell. It could be the earlier one didn't have the proper options set as default. Thanks for the help and advice.

MEL

180131.1643