On Sunday 04 February 2018 09:29 PM, TBUA wrote:
hello there,

Have you figured out a work around for this? Would really like some help
with this !

Hello

This is how I have done it.

It looks complicated at first but works perfectly for me for getting data for GSTR1/2/3B

Just giving rough idea.

You need to know how to use tax tables in Gnucash and assign them to right accounts. You also need to learn how to generate reports in Gnucash using right accounts.

Note: Colon indicates/separates subaccounts

Stage 1: (Account creation)
------------

1) Create these income accounts

Income:Sales:GST (sales to all GST registered dealers)
Income:Sales:NonGST (sales to all unregistered dealers)
Income:Sales:Roundoff (any roundoff in bill goes here)

2) Create these expense accounts

Expense:Purchase

My purchase is always from GST registered dealers so I have not created GST/NonGST subaccounts.
You may create 2 sub accounts for GST and NonGST dealers.

3) Create these Asset (GST Tax paid on purchase) accounts

Assets:GST-Purchase:CGST
Assets:GST-Purchase:IGST
Assets:GST-Purchase:SGST

Again you may create NonGST purchase accounts if you want.

4) Create these Liabilities (GST tax to be paid to government for sales) accounts

Liabilities:Sales:GST:CGST
Liabilities:Sales:GST:IGST
Liabilities:Sales:GST:SGST
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:CGST
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:IGST
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:SGST

5) Create these receivables (GST sales - including tax) accounts

Assets:Trade Receivables:GST
Assets:Trade Receivables:NonGST

6) Create these payables (GST purchase payments to be made) accounts

Liabilities:Trade Payables

Again my purchase is always from GST registered dealers so I have not created subaccounts.

Stage 2: (Tax tables)
-----------

Now that all accounts are set. Here are the tax tables that I have created.

In my case taxes are either 5% (IGST), 12% (IGST), 2.5%+2.5% (CGST+SGST), 6%+6% (CGST+SGST)

Such tax structure exists for both sale and purchase. So we need to create many tax tables.

I have created them like this:

1)
Tax table name that I have given = GST-Sale-5
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:GST:CGST = tax percentage 2.5%
Liabilities:Sales:GST:SGST = tax percentage 2.5%

This is for any intra-state sales where tax charged is 5%

2)
Tax table name that I have given = GST-Sale-12
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:GST:CGST = tax percentage 6%
Liabilities:Sales:GST:SGST = tax percentage 6%

This is for any intra-state sales where tax charged is 12%

3)
Tax table name that I have given = IGST-Sale-5
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:GST:IGST = tax percentage 5%

This is for any inter-state sales where tax charged is 5%

4)
Tax table name that I have given = IGST-Sale-12
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:GST:IGST = tax percentage 12%

This is for any inter-state sales where tax charged is 12%

5)
Tax table name that I have given = NonGST-Sale-5
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:CGST = tax percentage 2.5%
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:SGST = tax percentage 2.5%

This is for any intra-state sales to unregistered dealers where tax charged is 5%

6)
Tax table name that I have given = NonGST-Sale-12
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:CGST = tax percentage 6%
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:SGST = tax percentage 6%

This is for any intra-state sales to unregistered dealers where tax charged is 12%

7)
Tax table name that I have given = NonIGST-Sale-5
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:IGST = tax percentage 5%

This is for any inter-state sales to unregistered dealers where tax charged is 5%

8)
Tax table name that I have given = NonIGST-Sale-12
Tax table entries:
Liabilities:Sales:NonGST:IGST = tax percentage 12%

This is for any inter-state sales to unregistered dealers where tax charged is 12%

9)
Tax table name that I have given = GST-Purchase-5
Tax table entries:
Assets:GST-Purchase:CGST = tax percentage 2.5%
Assets:GST-Purchase:SGST = tax percentage 2.5%

This is for any intra-state purchase from GST registered dealers where tax charged is 5%

10)
Tax table name that I have given = GST-Purchase-12
Tax table entries:
Assets:GST-Purchase:CGST = tax percentage 6%
Assets:GST-Purchase:SGST = tax percentage 6%

This is for any intra-state purchase from GST registered dealers where tax charged is 12%

11)
Tax table name that I have given = IGST-Purchase-5
Tax table entries:
Assets:GST-Purchase:IGST = tax percentage 5%

This is for any inter-state purchase from GST registered dealers where tax charged is 5%

12)
Tax table name that I have given = IGST-Purchase-12
Tax table entries:
Assets:GST-Purchase:IGST = tax percentage 12%

This is for any inter-state purchase from GST registered dealers where tax charged is 12%

Once again since I dont purchase from unregistered dealers - I have not created tax tables for such cases. You may create them.

Stage 3: (Data Entry - Invoice and Bill)
------------

So we are now almost done.

Above looks tedious but its just one time thing. Once done then everything becomes very easy.

Now the actual usage of these accounts and tables:

Whenever you create Invoice / Bill - based on customer / vendor select the right Income / expense account (from stage 1) and right Tax table (from stage 2).

And when you post invoice / bill - select the right Asset / Liability account (again from stage 1)

i.e. GST or NonGST accounts based on type of customer / vendor and GST / IGST / NonGST tax table based on customer/vendor and the tax percentage.

Stage 4: (Report Generation)
-----------

For report generation - you can use transaction report and customize it as per your requirement.

Save the customized report so that you do not need to customize it every time.

I have created 4 types of customized transaction report

1) GST-Sale-Tax Report
start date - start of previous month (or quarter)
end date - end of previous month (or quarter)
Primary key - Account name
Secondary key - Date
Seconday subtotal -  None
Accounts selected - Liabilities:Sales (and all subaccounts)
Account filtered by - Income:Sales (and all subaccounts)
Filter type - Include transaction to/from filter accounts

This will give you previous months tax details (for sales) useful for GSTR3B return

Similarly you can create reports for GST-Sale-Total, GST-Purchase-Tax, GST-Purchase-Total.

You need to tinker a bit here and there (mostly by selecting the right accounts)

And then save all reports and you are all set for GST India! (GSTR1/2/3B)

Stage 5: (Set off)

Once you file GSTR3B return - do same set off (as you did in GSRT3B) from Tax Assets / Liabilities accounts created in stage 1.

Overall just be careful while data entry at stage 3 and stage 5 and everything should be perfect and ready.

So thats all, hope it was useful.

Regards,

Amish.