FYI, by clean I meant that I was running only Debian compiled programs downloaded from the repository, but in all honesty had forgotten that I had tried to install some of Doug Doughty's custom reports.

In any case, I reinstalled Gnucash, created a new .gnucash directory into which I copied my existing gnucash data file (gnucash.personal in sql format) & tried again. Now I get only:

Found Finance::Quote version 1.35
Segmentation fault
I also rebuilt the data file with the .dump command.

Here's the contents of the gnucash.trace file:

* 11:33:18  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [sqlite3_error_fn()] DBI error: -6: An invalid or out-of-range index was passed to libdbi