Michael brings up a great point.

Here’s another traditional accounting term to search for: “allowance for
doubtful accounts.”

It usually resides as a sub-account of A/R. It is a contra-account which means
it normally has a credit balance. (assets normally have a debit balance)

You use the account by balancing it against Bad Debt Expense.

Here’s a decent write-up on the subject:
https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/2017/5/15/the-allowance-for-doubtful-accounts