With the current release of GnuCash (2.6.19) and earlier the CSV import
assistant is very fussy, especially wrt date format.  It does not remember
settings either so you have to be very careful to get everything right for
each file.  The default date format is not the format used in the United
States, so Americans must adjust that each time too.  If at all possible
try to get QIF (old Quicken format) or OFX/QFX (new Quicken Format) import
files instead of CSV.

Rumor has it that the up coming release 3.0, due out in a couple of weeks,
will greatly improve CSV import procedure, but I usually wait for a couple
of maintenance releases to be issued to get the last serious kinks out of a
new series of software before I decide to use it.

David C