Dennis,

It may look like there is a lot of  room on your display, but a lot of
users still have rather low res displays or they (like me) just like to use
strings containing more than 80 characters.  Two line mode is specifically
designed to show the notes field, so to move the notes to the first line
would render the second line useless.

I doubt that you would find very many users that would want to shrink the
description and notes both to half their size to squeeze them into one line.

David C