Thank you for the upgrade process, Adrien. I went ahead and followed through successfully.

It turns out the tree expand/collapse UI is not visible, yet it's there and functional. Perhaps it's a GTK3 theme issue, although I've tried a few different themes with the same result. I've attached a screenshot.