GnuCash lets you create any account you want and put it (pretty much) wherever
you want.

Contra-Accounts are sometimes desired to be where they are as true
contra-balanced accounts. Others prefer or need them on the opposite side of
the equation. I think the user should decide, and not be prompted by the
software or overridden by the software.

If you would prefer a contra-asset to be a liability, then simply create a
liability account instead and place it there.

While the idea is basically sound, it isn’t necessary to accomplish the task
and introduces complications and more code to maintain. In short - we can do
what we need to do without any fluff now.