Your message wasn't lost, but as I didn't have a full answer I just didn't
reply. Here's my best shot:
We discourage installing in /usr/local as it's one of the "special" install
locations and many tools behave differently or need extra work in order to get
a fully working installation. I don't know the details. I only know 90% of the
build issues we need to help out on are due to an attempt to install in /usr/
local.

Whether you hade to run ldconfig (not ld.conf) I have no idea. Probably when
installing in /usr or /usr/local.

To avoid this, try installing in your homedirectory. For this you can pass a
--prefix=$HOME/.local (replace .local with wherever you like gnucash to get
installed) option to configure before building.

Regards,

Geert