On Sep 29, 2018, at 4:30 AM, Robert Kesterson <robe...@robertk.com> wrote:

When I open Gnucash, it opens the last file I had open, which is great.  Then I
start the second instance from a terminal with “open -n
/Applications/GnuCash.app” and it starts up.  Since the most recent file is
already open, it will complain that it can’t get the lock and ask what I want
to do.  Since there isn’t an “open a different file” option ...........

But there IS a way to open gnucash for another file. Or rather a way to start gnucash without it opening a file, thus allowing you to specify what file you want to open. The -nofile option << I don't know exactly how to specify that for a mac >>

I am always opening gnucash that way since keeping four sets of books and the last opened is usually not the one I want to open.

Michael