Hi all,

This message is for two topics. If you respond, please either select one
topic or divide the message by topic to make it easier for me to follow the
messages.

#1 Saving
I don't understand how to save Gnucash or properly close it, it seems. I
have used Gnucash for years and used the "save" option.

In the past, I selected "save" but recently ran into "lock file" issue.
Next I tried "save as" but then a pop up window appeared asking me to save
it as an xml file. I did figure out that I needed to name the file and
Gnucash would add the .xml extension. Is this the correct method? What are
the different file types for? I really did read the documentation but the
save option explanations are too far above my head. Can someone explain
what the save options are at an intro level?

Recent "lock file" issues forced me to troubleshoot and find other methods
to open and save. Note that I am the only person using Gnucash, on one
computer. So I don't understand how this file is being generated.

Thanks,