> On Dec 30, 2018, at 1:25 PM, Andrew Clark <ajfcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 08:22, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 30, 2018, at 12:58 PM, Robert Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks Derek, but that's my issue. $DISPLAY is set but gnucash doesn't
> >> forward the display ot the xserver in $DISPLAY unless I force it by
> >> manually supplying the $DISPLAY variable to the --display parameter.
> >>
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> This works:
> >>
> >> gnucash --display="$DISPLAY"
> >>

> >> While this doesn't:
> >>
> >> gnucash
> >>

> >> Other non-gnome x applications work as expected. Gnome applications also
> >> require me to append --display "$DISPLAY" to the commandline.
> >
> > This suggests either a Gnome bug or a Gnome misset gnomw-setting...
>
> Or that the main display is Wayland rather than X11.
>
> That it is. I wasn't aware that running Wayland made some applications ignore
> the $DISPLAY setting.
>
> Is that by design or is there some other environment variable I should be
> setting ?

IIUC Wayland has its own display variable, $WAYLAND_DISPLAY. Apparently Gtk
doesn't have a good way of determining what backend to use, or maybe it prefers
to run on Wayland if it finds it even the particular login session is X11.

You could try exporting GDK_BACKEND=x11 in your remote session before starting
any Gtk programs.

Regards,
John Ralls