I’ve been experimenting with the timing of Gnucash->Quit after clicking Save.

There is an activity indicator after Save is clicked, which disappears when the
mouse is moved away from the Save button, which makes it look as though the
process is complete.

If Gnucash->Quit is clicked promptly after Save, it appears that the process of
saving is aborted leaving the .LCK and .LNK files, a log file, and a binary
file called something like MDH.gnucash.tmp-gkUdOJ.

The connection I had made with the extensive reconciliations I had made
(sometimes including Postpone) was irrelevant, as this will happen even if no
reconciliation has taken place.

The Save button is greyed out when the file is first opened, but a trivial
change to an existing transaction is sufficient to make it functional.

I don’t believe this intended behaviour, so I plan to report it as a bug, once
I work out how to do it!

Michael