On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 22:04:55 +0000 (UTC)
aeg via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:

> Thank you to those who have tried to educate me on the use of the
> word "split" in GnuCash, but whilst I believe that I understand how
> it is being used, the reason for using such an ambiguous term remains
> puzzling when better alternatives exist.
Every term in English is ambiguous - it's the nature of the language
and why jokes involving language are so prominent.

> I have a piece of wood that
> has a split in it caused by uneven shrinkage. It is one piece of wood
> with one split.
Split - noun.
Don't forget Split - verb

> If I choose to propagate that split
why did you choose "propagate" rather than "split"

> by forcing a
> wedge or axe into it, I end up with two pieces of wood and the split
> suddenly disappears.
No, the split has now enlarged to a point at which you can ignore it.

> The split has not magically turned into two splits
No, there is no magic. You still have a single split, but instead of it
being partial it is a complete split.

> and if I plane the edges of the two pieces of wood there will
> be no evidence that the split ever existed.
Cosmetic only.
We all know that it didn't grow like that, it was part of a bigger
whole, and that at the sawmill they made multiple splits to make logs.

Alan,
we are trying to present a number of different points of view, please
look at these different points of view.

Liz