On 4/11/2019 11:14 AM, David Cousens wrote:
Mike

The problem I see for free software developers here is to register as a
developer for the software, you have to be an existing business as you
require a registration only available to an existing registered business.
SDKs and APIs which appear to be written in C# are only available to the
registered developers.
Yes, I know little in detail about the laws of Britain or Australia. I do know that "more democratic" in the sense of not having a defined constitution/bill of rights << yes, most of us think of a constitution as a good thing BUT it does limit the will of the majority -- it says that some things we DON'T decide by vote, etc. >>

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that the only "corporate entities" that are allowed are "for profit businesses".

In the US, an "entity", for profit or not has a "tax ID number" << EIN for a corporate entity, SS# for a human person. Thus the 501c3's that I keep books for have one << just because a non-profit doesn't PAY taxes doesn't mean it doesn't file anything, doesn't have to be identifiable to the tax people >>

In my working days, I worked for MassMutual Life Insurance and at least then we did software in house (it's what I did, design and write software). One of the worlds largest financials but technically not a "for profit business" << it is legally a "consumer co-op", owned by the policy holders >> Do you imagine that if MM applied (for what was being required to write this software) would be turned down because "not a for profit business".

I don't know the details of how the gnucash project is organized in the legal sense, but it is some kind of a non-profit entity.

Michael D Novack