I could have sworn there was a simple (and easily defeat-able) locking
mechanism based on number of days that had passed, but I can’t seem to find the
preference.

Perhaps I was imagining things.

Regardless, if one wants to use correcting transactions, that is certainly
still doable, and there is even a facility to have a reversing transaction
entered for you via the Transaction menu.

But I don’t think any of that was what the OP was dealing with. They were
editing an auto-filled *new* transaction.