Don’t forget to copy the list, this came in only to me.

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 3:48 AM, Michael Hendry <hendry.mich...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You can easily duplicate invoices to reduce typing. You can also do some
>> quick duplication in a spreadsheet, then import this data as ‘invoices’ into
>> GnuCash, reducing even more work.
>
> Presumably I could create ordinary GC transactions in a spreadsheet too?

Sure, and you can use the importer which will also eventually learn your
transactions and the import process will speed up over time since you won’t
have to manually assign stuff during the process.

>> From a manual perspective, you’d have to create either another level of
>> tracking, perhaps using manual AR entries against donation income.
>>
>> Work reduction could be accomplished with scheduled transactions, though
>> you’d still need one for each member. There is also the ‘duplicate
>> transaction’ function that might come in handy.
>>
>> As for reporting with manual transactions, you could utilize the Transaction
>> Report and its filters to tailor the report to your needs.
>>
>> Finally, on the spreadsheet end, you could reduce data entry duplication and
>> opportunity for errors using sheet/cell references to a master
>> sheet/workbook. The master would get updated either upon opening or manually
>> using an ‘update links’ function. (exists in Libreoffice Calc, I’m sure
>> Excel has something similar)
>
> I’ve already come up against a problem with this with the files my
> predecessor has passed on - the links refer to the directory structure on his
> computer, not on mine.

Yes, you’d have to update those links. You *should* be able to do this with the
Find/Replace tool quite quickly though once you get straight what the current
links should point to, you can update them for your own case. The simplest
method would be to have one consolidated book with multiple sheets. Then you
eliminate the directory structure issue. (the separation would be done in
different GnuCash books, the spreadsheet is just for the dirty work)

The next easiest approach is to put all of the workbooks in the same folder and
keep them together. Then you only need the file name reference.