> On Sep 14, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Mike or Penny Novack
> <stepbystepf...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Bob Hammons wrote:
>> The trouble was Windows Defender in a recent update blocked Gnucash,
>> Quicken and Open Office data directories.
>> This was in the Ransom ware section
>> Here is a website that explains how to fix this
>> Wasn't very nice of MS to do this without any notice that these programs
>> would be blocked
>> Thanks again for you help I did learn a little more about Windows but
>> something new will pop up I am sure.
> That does not seem to me to be much of an explanation. I don't know about
> Quicken, but with either OpenOffice (I use LibreOffice) or Gnucash the "data
> directories" (the directory in which the data lives AND where the lock file
> will be created) is up to you. Certainly MS didn't block "Documents" (the
> parent directory where LibreOffice documents likely placed).

Well, actually, yes.

And it makes sense.  They’re trying to protect you from ransomware - software
that encrypts your stuff and then offers to give you the decryption key if you
pay up.
The idea is that a known list of applications are allowed to touch files in the
protected directories, and you can add tru