There is a report coming (hopefully for 4.0) which will help sort these
scenarios out, but until then...

1. Open the AP register
2. Right click on the payment transaction
3. Choose “Edit Payment”

The payment window will then pop-up and show you the invoice(s) the payment is
applied to. (cancel out of the window if you don’t need to make any actual
changes)

If you don’t see “Edit Payment” and instead see “Assign as Payment” then the
payment was not properly applied to *any* invoice.

Simply use the apply function and then all should be well.

Also, make sure you don’t have duplicate payment transactions, with one applied
and one not.