Dave,

Showing the extensions (e.g. the .txt in foo.txt) is a preference in Finder's
preferences on the Advanced tab.

You don't need to double click a text file to read it, you can just select it
and tap the space bar. That actually works for a surprising variety of file
types, not just text.

Regards,
John Ralls