Switching users isn't onerous as long as you use simple passwords--you do have
to type it every time you switch--and it's easy to create a folder in your main
user's $HOME to collect stuff:
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/control-access-to-your-public-folder-on-mac-mchlp1775/mac.

If that's still too much trouble you can set GNC_DATA_DIR and GNC_CONFIG_DIR in
the non-production bundle's Contents/Resources/etc/gnucash/environment to point
somewhere other than ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash. Preferences go to
~/Library/Preferences/org.gnucash.Gnucash no matter what, but that's probably
not a concern in most cases.

Regards,
John Ralls