The budget estimate function is designed to estimate how much to budget based
on historical transactions. You have the option to use an average or not. If
you do not, then each period will be filled in based on the history as-is. If
you choose the ‘average’ option, *all* periods will have budget values
pre-entered based on the average over the total accounting period.

For example, if your Auto Expenses were:

Jan     Feb     Mar
100     125     75

Then those would be your estimated budget amounts for the same periods in the
new budget.

But if you chose the ‘average’ option you’d get:

Jan     Feb     Mar
100     100     100

Because the ‘average’ for each period would be the sum of the historical
periods (300) divided by the periods (3), or 100 each period.

If you have no historical data, you get zero as an estimate. (or if you chose a
non-historical period to create the estimate from) Sadly, the dialog is not
crystal clear you need to enter the date range for where to draw the historical
data from. (it appears you want to enter the dates you want to estimate, not
the date range for the source data)

I consider this a bug, and if it isn’t already filed, or you don’t beat me to
it, I’ll get it filed. It stood out for me the other day during testing.

-----

Concerning ‘cash flow’, that is a specifically named report, both in accounting
texts, and in GnuCash. Unfortunately, the same named GnuCash version is nothing
like the text book version. Honestly, I find very little use for the GC version
though I’m sure some might.

The purpose of the text book version is to show a cash-basis accounting for
entities that use accrual accounting. If you are on a cash-basis already, then
you don’t need a ‘cash flow’ report. Your P&L (Income Statement) is already
‘cash flow’.

If you want to see how much you’ve spent in each expense account for a specific
period, either run a P&L/Income Statement report, or a Transaction Report. The
Transaction report is *way* more versatile, though the P&L now has a
multi-period option that might be more illustrative and you can have a column
for each month side-by-side. (I still wish it had a comparative or variance
column, as I still have to export to spreadsheet) The Transaction report
version of the same thing is linear rather than columnar. But it does give you
the info.

There is also user designed Comparative Transaction report floating here on the
list from last year or so that I found really useful. (and is columnar)
Unfortunately, I don’t think it still works with the 3.x series, and I haven’t
had time to figure out why exactly. (something to do with time stamps, I
suspect a change in how they are stored in GC)