OFX as a format does several things CSV does not.  It can give a
unique transaction ID, which the software can then "remember" if there
are a number of repeated transactions of the same amount and similar
dates.  With OFX, you know they are unique transactions because of the
unique identifier.

When GnuCash imports OFX transactions, it can tell (almost always?
most of the time?) if that particular transaction has already been
recorded in the ledger.  I find that helpful.  The most time consuming
part of the process for me is assigning categories, transfer accounts,
and determining if it is a split transaction (that I usually do in
another step after importing).

If there is no other option, CSV can work, and QFX is very close to
OFX (but it adds that hint of evil John mentioned).  I dislike the way
most banks implement Direct Connect, but others think it works fine
for them, and is secure enough.  I connect to the institution using a
VPN and then download the data in all the formats they allow (if they
don't allow downloads, then I'm forced to use Direct Connect).  I then
have an OFX, QFX, CSV and ocassionally QIF files (usually separate
files by month).  That's obviously overkill, but if the OFX download
is missing some data, or gets corrupted, I have the other one as a
check.

And, of course, I do this wearing a tin foil hat (just kidding! I use
Velostat for all my alien mind control prevention).

You would probably be fine just download the OFX file and then
importing the transaction like John describes (File>Import>Import
OFX/QFX).  Use a relatively updated web browser (like brave, but
chrome, firefox, work) and your bank will encrypt the connection with
https.  If you don't see "https" or a locking icon in the browser bar,
then ask your bank about that (you won't get a person on the phone, so
better to google "Is my browser connection encrypted?").  Most people
are fine with that, but assess your own risk.

Gordon