I'm not quite sure I understand the comment here but fyi I have had zero
problems importing csv data into GnuCash checking and savings accounts from
Wells Fargo... but there is a process I use.
1 - Download the transactions from your bank as a csv file.2 - Import them into
a spreadsheet.3 - Delete the columns you don't want and arrange the remainder
in any order you want.4 - For checking & savings I use 5 fields (columns)
Date, Num, Description, Deposit, Withdrawal5 - Now save/export that from your
spreadsheet as a csv file6 - Now open GC and click File > Import > Transactions
from CSVthen follow the bouncing ball.
I suggest you make a test copy of your GC file and experiment with this until
you feel comfortable with the process.
During the import process if you select your Assets > Current Assets > Checking
Accountthe import feature of GC allows you to assign which expense account to
assign each transaction to.After awhile it "learns" which one even though I
always check each one.
Frankly, for me, it works flawlessly as the developers have done one hell of a
job building the application.
The biggest problem I have with GC is me. I don't do it every day and often
stumble around remembering how I did it.I'm also prone to rushing and shooting
myself in the foot.Cockpit error is my number one enemy.
Finally, the original post was simply to let folks know that you can just copy
a Transaction Report from the GC screen and then paste it into Google Sheets.
Now need to export. Plus the Transaction Report gives you the option of
selecting which columns you want... and more.

An application for this is when you are looking for some error between banking
and say the GC cecking transactions.
 For instance for checking I have copied 3 years of transactions from the
Transaction Report and pasted it into a Google Sheet tab.Then imported csv
banking transactions into another tab in the spreadsheet.Then copied the date &
amount of each into a 3rd tab.Then sorted each by amount, date.Then with a
column in the middle enter the formula...=if(Bank Amount <> GC Amount,
"X",)This will place an X anywhere the two don't agree so any mismatching
transaction will jump out at you.
Sorry, too much info here but maybe it will help somebody... and I'm sure there
is an easier way but, worked for me :-)
Fran

    On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 6:56:19 PM EDT, flywire <flywi...@gmail.com>