I realize some more information might be useful.

Briefly (and oversimplified), both PPP and EIDL are US government programs
which provide money from the government to a small business.

PPP funds are a loan, some or all of which can be forgiven (not need to be paid
back) and is expressly not taxable as income, according to the interpretations
of the law I have read.

In my case, the EIDL funds are actually a grant, not a loan, and the tax
treatment is a little ambiguous currently.

But I’m actually less concerned with the tax treatment currently than the
following...

I want to be very explicit in my accounting to show what expenses we are using
the government funds for. That part I’m not quite sure the best way to handle.
Normally we write checks to pay expenses, so I debit the checking account. The
government funds are already in the business checking account, so I am trying
to choose the best way to identify that specific expenses — paid out of the
checking account — are linked to the PPP or EIDL money.

I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who is actually dealing with these same
issues or has advice how to handle this.

Thanks again.

- Tim