https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-running-gnucash.html#basics-register2

In particular, the note regarding the description column is relevant.

-------- Original Message --------
From: rmom...@gmail.com
Sent: Mon Jun 01 13:24:43 EDT 2020
To: GnuCash <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: [GNC] Adjusting journal column widths

I can adjust the column widths in the journal by double clicking the header.
I'd like to set the description narrower but can't seem to do it. It
occupies a lot of space that cramps the number columns off the right edge of
the page, the total or balance column. I tried dragging the right side of
the description column to the left but it just snaps back.

I'm running Version: 3.5, Build ID: 3.5+(2019-03-30) on a Windows 10 PC

Thanks,

Roger