By default, the dates selected are the ‘easy dates’ to the right of the
calendar drop downs. (this period, last period, etc.)

To set specific dates by the calendar drop downs, first click the radio button
to the left of the drop down.

To switch back to the easy dates, choose the radio button to the left of those
drop downs.