I get this message now when trying to start GC from the command line:
"gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.67.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I tried uninstalling my existing build of 3.8, then installing the
Ubuntu software center 3.8. Same error.

I tried
sudo apt remove gnucash-common gnucash python3-gnucash
sudo apt autoremove

Any ideas to try next?