> On Jul 4, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Eric Coates via gnucash-user
> <gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Good Evening
>
> A query of absolutely no real consequence.
>
> In the past (a) for as long as I can remember, currency conversion rates
> appeared "by magic" on demand and (b) I used AlphaVantage to get the price of
> shares and thus, of course, had to have an AlphaVantage key. But it became
> possible to avoid the frustrations of Alphavantge's throttling by using Yahoo
> as JSON but I didn't bother to remove the AlphaVantage key from gnucash.
>
> Recently, I did a complete reinstall of my operating system (Ubuntu) and
> installed gnucash from the standard repositories. I didn't think to re-input
> the AlphaVantage key (I'd rather forgotten about it). But I noticed that I
> was failing to get the conversion rate for Euros to GB Pounds. That wasn't of
> any real concern as I only revalue my portfolio once a month (and you'd not
> believe how pretentious that sounds to my ears!) and adding in a single
> conversion rate by hand was trivial.
>
> However, prompted by Samantha Payn's note I added the AlphaVantage key back
> into gnucash and now (it seems) I can get the Euro/Pound rate.
>
> So, the "no consequence query": Is it necessary to have an AlphaVantage key
> to get currency conversion rates?

Yes, because when Yahoo! withdrew their non-json quote service the
Finance::Quote maintainers decided to make Alphavantage the currency source. At
the time it wasn't clear that Yahoo! would continue the json service; that's
sort of still true, AFAIK they've never said one way or the other. It could
disappear without notice.

Regards,
John Ralls