Hi Ben.

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 20:05, Ben Pracht <ben.pra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm somewhat happy with my bank, or at least dislike them the least among
> the banks in my area so I don't want to switch.

And that would be a painful process.

> However, the online banking security is out of date. I want to say they use
> TLS 1.1 but should be on 1.2 or something like that. In any case, it does
> not work with GnuCash.

Can you identify specific technical details of what doesn't work? Any error
messages?

> How would people recommend asking my bank for the best settings to use and
> maybe asking for an upgrade. I *know* the first person I reach is going to
> tell me to install Quicken on my Windows machine  neither of which I have.

You may need to ask for a technical person to email you. If you succeed
with that, offer them the results of the above specific tech details. That
gives them something to go on in researching or offering you a solution.
They may even have a Quicken to XXX conversion which could work. You never
know until you have put the right question to the right person.

> It would also be easy to have some misunderstanding dolt think I'm trying
> to hack into bbt.

So best to avoid the first-line call centre responders. You could start by
saying "I have a complicated computer question and really need to send one
of your tech support people a heap of data to explain the issue. Can you
put me in contact with such a person, please?"

> I wonder if I could pay someone a small token of appreciation  to fix this
> and check it into the code base.
>
> I love GnuCash, but pity anyone who deals with online banking. If I were
> king, I'd force the banks to do a restful api with standard asymmetric
> keys. And I'd force them to document it.

Well, as to that, of course there are kings and kings. When I say that I
detest kings, I mean I detest bad kings.
...Now I can conceive a kind of king – an ideal king – the creature of my
fancy, you know – who would be absolutely unobjectionable.
...Such a king would be a blessing to his people and if I were a king, that
is the sort of king I would be.
(Giuseppe in The Gondoliers by Gilbert & Sullivan)
 :-)

--
Best regards
John Angelico