I'm pretty sure that *is* documented on the Wiki build pages, or at least used to be. I once built on Ubuntu and found that option on the Wiki to get it working.

I was lightly following some Wiki Build Instruction discussion on IRC recently and I think that very option (with needed dependency) was pointed out as not being quite obvious.

Check out the Build on Linux pages (along with the sub-pages about dependencies) and read their Talk sections for more current info and state of the edits.