Two things:

First, you may be not have considered all of the report options. I haven't looked at all gnucsh reports, but the ones that I have allow you to control the "title" of the report. This might be more obvious to folks like me doing books for non-profits << by custom the report titled "Income Statement" and/or "Profit and Loss" is called "Statement of Revenues and Expenses" or just "Statement of Revenues" for short if the entity is a non-profit >>

Second (and in this case your "hack" is in the right direction) if you considered your question in a more general form, you might see that things like this sort of "pretty printing" best done AFTER exporting from gnucash where you have a great deal of potential editing power. For example, suppose you had said "I want to have my company logo up at the top". You wouldn't expect to be doing that from WITHIN gnucash. But it could be other "pretty printing" matters like "I want the body lines font size X but the total lines font size Y, etc."

Michael D Novack