Per the FAQ in the Wiki, only upgrading from one major to the next major release is supported. Skipping major releases is *not* supported.

Thus for you, 2.6.21 > 3.11 > 4.2 would be okay.

However, 2.6.21 > 4.2 *might* result in issues which *may* include data loss or corruption. (no guarantees either way) You might get lucky, you might not. You might not, and not realize it for some time depending on the nature of the corruption/loss.

Properly upgrading *should* result in custom reports and other settings being migrated properly. There were some migration issues with the early 3.x series, but that was solved at some point. (not sure of the cutoff release, see release notes starting with 3.0 till about 3.3 or so if curious.)

Also per the FAQ and the Wiki, after opening your data file for the first time with each new major version, you should run Action > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All to make sure your book is adjusted to reflect any changes to how GnuCash internally records data. This also can prevent previous versions from reading the file after this point. (this will vary by book, according to what features you were using in the prior edition) The release notes for 3.0 and 4.0 should detail these changes.