> On Nov 6, 2020, at 4:57 PM, Bart Schroeder <b...@westshirerealty.com> wrote:
>
> Using Gnucash 4.2 on Mac OS 10.15.  None of pre-defined check printing
> formats work for my purpose.  So, how to duplicate, then modify one of these
> print formats.  I am unable to locate any check files (using Mac interface)
> to use as sample files.   In terminal, none show in Application directory as
> suggested in documentation.  Can someone please ID steps to create new check
> format files and where they should be located.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Bart

The check files are in the application bundle. So in the Finder, you’d have to
right click on the GnuCash app, select Show Package Contents, and then go to:

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/checks/

to get to the check files. The first 3 elements of the above path are just for
reference because Show Package Contents opens a Finder window with the Contents
folder showing.

Take your pick of the check file(s) and store copies (after renaming!) in:

/Users/[your user name]/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/checks/

You can edit the files and save them back to the app bundle, but then any
version upgrade will blow away your changed versions (even if you’ve renamed
them in the app bundle).

Versions saved in Application Support survive across anything that maintains
the user Library.

--
Dave Reiser
dbrei...@icloud.com