On 11/18/20 1:38 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
Op dinsdag 17 november 2020 19:26:58 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
Yeah, perhaps I'm not understanding something, but if the list server is
configured with the list address in the reply-to header, but *does not*
hide the individual's personal address (as described by Greg) how hard
is it for someone to copy and paste that address in a new compose window
in the 'to' field? And to make it even easier, most mail apps have a
feature that if you select *any* e-mail address, you can get a context
menu to send a new message to that address!

So the default behavior would be reply-to-list, and if the *OFF* chance
you *might* want to privately reply, you can still do so. (note, private
replies to this list are discouraged, so why make it the default?!)

You make a very good point here. I agree the list configuration should reflect
our default
behaviour. And given all mail clients I have seen make it easy to send a mail
or reply to any
visible header e-mail address (To, CC, From,...), the uncommon case of a
private request is still
readily available, but it does take explicit action. Making the desired
behaviour default is
actually good user experience.

For the record these are the mail clients I have looked at:
- Kmail: provides direct reply to  or new message to any visible address.
- Thunderbird: provides new message to any visible address
- GMail: provides new message to any visible address, though it does take an
extra click
- K9-Mail (mobile): provides direct sending new mail to "from" address rather
than reply-to
address. Other visible addresses can't be targeted directly.

I'm extrapolating from this that any decent mail client has effectively a way
to directly send a
message to the address that appears in the from field instead of using the
hidden reply-to.

So to me the original argument that it would be much harder to send a private
reply doesn't
hold.

In fact as one on the other side of regularly receiving unwarranted private
replies on my list
posts, I actually prefer to make that process a bit harder (while still not
difficult at all).

Regards,

Geert
_

I use Thunderbird as a mail client.  For messages from this list it offers me two buttons.  Reply and ReplyList.  Reply will send the message to the originator (From).  ReplyList will send it to the ReplyTo entry.

The ReplyList does have a drop down with three options (Reply, ReplyList, ReplyAll).

Sometimes I've clicked on the Reply instead of ReplyList. Occasionally I catch that before hitting the Send button.

--Steve

PS.  "If you idiot-proof the software, only idiots will be able to use it"

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
stephen.m.butle...@gmail.com