Read over John's reply again.

If you want to 'start fresh' then just install 4.4 and then start importing.

I'm not sure if Quicken allows you to export a date range of data. If so, then following John's advice, export the very first month of data, then import it into GnuCash. Then export the second month, and import.

If Quicken doesn't let you create small exports by date range, and instead just get one giant file, then you'll need to open that file (probably in a spreadsheet app) and break it up there. Others who have followed this path can lend more advice as to which route you need to take.

As you do each import, there is the opportunity to train the import matcher. The more imports you do, the more training the matcher learns from you. Subsequent imports will thus go faster with less manual adjustments on your part. (always adjust *in* the import matcher, don't wait till after the import or GnuCash will never learn that adjustment for next time)

After a few of these, you can start increasing the date range as GnuCash will get more matches right on its own, and leave you less adjustments to make for further training. Eventually, you'll likely be able to comfortably import a year at a time. (otherwise, you face a daunting 240+ monthly imports!)

For accounts that benefit from reconciliation against institutional statements (bank accounts, credit cards, etc.) you should perform a reconciliation procedure *for each such statement period*. You may have done this in Quicken already, and I think the importer allows you to import transactions as 'reconciled' already. There is some issue with this however, and you should probably do fresh reconciliations in GnuCash. (also why it might be easier to import one month at a time, reconciling after each import, the larger the time spans for import, the greater chance of having an error that is proportionally harder to find in the larger sea of transactions.)

Above all, take it slow, and don't try to import the entire history from Quicken in one go.