On 2/15/21 4:37 PM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
On 2/15/2021 5:17 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

(technically, Income & Expenses are 'temporary' Equity accounts, but GnuCash gives them their own 'top-level' with Assets, Equity & Liabilities. In the pen&paper days, you closed these out at the end of the year to Retained Earnings, also an Equity account.)

Even more pedantic (from somebody who was first keeping books in those days when it was pen and ink in paper) you FIRST closed the income and expense accounts to a special (equity) account called "profit and loss" and you closed THAT account with the net profit (or loss) to retained earnings. The closed "profit and loss" account became your "Profit and Loss" report.

How did I forget? Yes, I learned it that way as well.

Thus the expanded equation is:

    Assets = Liabilities + Income - Expenses

Well  ----------- Assets = Liabilities + Equity + Income - Expenses  < there really isn't any subtraction; expenses are debits and this is the credit side of the equation>

Yeah, I once tried to explain to my Mom & Dad how accounting isn't really about math equations, but how you 'account' for what you did. They never got it.