On 6/2/2021 2:27 PM, D. via gnucash-user wrote:
The discussion about the location of Imbalance-XXX accounts is under a
different thread, and I explained there my reasons for my account structure and
Gnucash's previous implementation. Suffice to say that I'd rather keep
Imbalance-USD around (since it will get created all over again), but put it in
the location of MY choosing.

The "location" of an account is, in effect, part of its name, its full name. You could have half a dozen accounts with the "name" Imbalance as long as each was a different leaf of the tree (location in the CoA). How do you propose gnucash to "know" WHICH of these you intend to be used as the account to use for imbalance situations?

What you are asking form in effect, is the ability to specify an account to be used for the purpose.

I know you are thinking, just look for a leaf with name Imbalance. That could work IF gnucash reserved the name, disallowed you creating an account with that name. Account names in gnucash do NOT have to be unique/distinct.  Is it the case that in your own books you do not have accounts with the same "name" but different leaves of the tree so you don't see the problem. The developers put Imbalance at the top level of the tree precisely because that would be unique (could only be one).

Michael D Novack