> On Jun 13, 2021, at 12:39 AM, Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnuc...@jdlh.com> wrote:
>
> GnuCash ships with Helper Scripts  which make it easier to work with
> Finance::Quote. They are: gnc-fq-check, gnc-fq-dump, gnc-fq-helper, and
> gnc-fq-update. Collectively, call them gc-fq-* .
>
> When running these Helper Scripts from a command prompt on MacOS and Linux,
> should they invoked as commands:
>
> % gnc-fq-check
>
> Or should they be invoked as an argument to a perl command:
>
> % perl gnc-fq-check
>
> ?
>
> The wiki page https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Helper_Scripts
> says, pretty clearly, the former:
>
> "While unixoid operating systems use a shebang (#!) to associate perl scripts
> with the Perl interpreter, others, e.g. Windows, will fail….
> C:\> gnc-fq-check [fails]…
> so use the following: … Prefix any gnc-fq-xxx perl script command with perl
> and a space: …
> perl gnc-fq-check …"
>
> The perl invocation is described as a workaround needed on Windows because
> the shebang doesn't work. All the other examples show invocation as a
> command, e.g.
>
> $ gnc-fq-check
>
> This makes a difference on Unixoid systems when there are multiple Perl
> installations. Presumably command invocation of the helper scripts will
> always obey the shebang and thus always run the same Perl installation. But
> invocation as an argument to "perl" will run whichever Perl installation the
> environment dictates.
>
> Am I correct in guessing that GnuCash 4.5 internally invokes these scripts
> (maybe just gnc-fq-helper) as an argument to a perl command?
>
> If so, should the wiki page https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes use
> the same invocation?

The answer depends on what the user wants or in this case for which perl they
want to or did install F::Q.  People who have multiple perl installations
shouldn't need to be told; people who need to be told then they shouldn't have
multiple perl installations.

Arthur Ransome opened 'Swallows and Amazons` with the doggerel
  "Better drowned than duffers.
   If not duffers won't drown."

An excellent guiding principle to system administration.

Regards,
John Ralls