On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 8:26 AM Jean-David Beyer via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:

> > was return of capital.  I have not yet learned how to enter a return of
> > capital in GnuCash....
>
> Do you not just subtract the capital returned from the cost basis?

Correct.

Linux
  Gnucash
    Help
      Tutorial
         Investments
            Return of Capital

This refers to a transaction where an investment returns capital to the
investor and doesn't have any accounting implications other than reducing
the cost basis. The number of shares held is not changed.

A Return of Capital transaction can be entered in the stock register by
entering the stock split with
Shares 0
Price 0
Sell Return of Capital value

The other side of the double entry would usually be a debit to the
brokerage bank account.

Attached is a screen shot of the account with the buy, rtn of cap, sell.
The capital gain shown is what Quicken calculated (not Gnucash).