On 9/28/21 10:16 AM, Rogier F. van Vlissingen wrote:
Thanks to everyone for helping out.

What worked for me in the end was

    1. to set up the COA first, without attempting any opening balances, and
    then
    2. to create a single transaction to set up the opening balances on
    1/1/2020.

As it was, I had an ending trial balance on 12/31/2020, but there were a
few mistakes floating around, so in my setup, I made those corrections, and
settled it against retained earnings, by making that the final line item in
my opening transaction.

    - One thing I was not able to figure out. If I do set up this way, and I
    made a mistake in my initial g/l transaction is there a way to edit that
    transaction, or am I doomed to simply start over and do it the right way?
    - And since I made a false starts, I now have a couple of sets of books
    that I want to get rid of, but I wasn't sure how to do it, other than just
    deleting the file in the file system.

<<snip>>

Rogier,  (my apology for not spelling it correctly on my last reply)

I have been able to edit that transaction even years later as I recently found some additional items that should have been entered -- but weren't.  I know the purist will say that you should just create an additional transaction for that date with the adjustments.  I am not a purist!  This works for me.

Yes, I am able to add new lines to the original transaction, change existing amounts, even delete a line that turned out to be a duplicate.

You can always edit a transaction.  This is a nice thing.  This is a bad thing.  This will help get you out of trouble.  This will get you into trouble.  Beware!  Your books are only as good as you make them.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
stephen.m.butle...@gmail.com