Hi,

On Thu, November 11, 2021 5:19 am, Lionel Élie Mamane wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 05:52:32PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> On Tue, November 9, 2021 12:04 pm, Lionel Élie Mamane wrote:
>>> On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 07:31:08AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

[snip]

> According to your previous message, the currency of the price/buy/sell
> columns is the one of the parent account, in my example EUR. I'm not
> sure that is correct (see my email of

Sorry, I apologize.  I misunderstood the issue here.  The stock account
uses the parent account currency for the TRANSACTION currency (i.e., what
you see in VALUE).  The AMOUNT is in the currency/commodity of the account
in the particular split.

> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:09:48 +0100
> ) but for the sake of the example/discussion, let's assume it is.
>
> So if I enter a split against a USD account, sorry, that split doesn't
> have access to all the information. The value I enter on the stock
> register is a value in _EUR_, but the USD account must get a value in
> _USD_, so there is an exchange going on.

There is always an exchange going on in stock transactions.  Even if
you're just going to one currency, there is the exchange from that one
currency to the stock itself.

[snip]
> I don't (necessarily) have an USD account at every bank. When I buy a
> security in USD from a bank where I have only an EUR account (and
> portfolio account), the sale is necessarily withdrawn from the my EUR
> bank account. Obviously, what they do is exchange EUR for USD, and
> they close the trade in USD, and they take a fee for that. But I don't
> have a separate "USD brokerage" that gets debited with the currency
> exchange, and then credited with the sale. I can "fake" that with a
> USD-denominated "transition account" in GnuCash (not sure if that's
> what they are called in English), so that is not a big problem, if a
> problem at all.

A Transition account would work (Sometimes here just called a "Brokerage
account").

> The first problem is that the GnuCash stock registers silently let me
> mix transactions in different currencies in the same register, without
> showing _at_ _all_ what transaction is in which currency. GnuCash
> should either:
>
>  - choose to disallow mixed currencies in same register, and then not
>    let the user mix different currencies
>
>  - choose to allow mixed currencies in same register, and then clearly
>    indicate what transaction is in what currency (and ideally make the
>    lot/scrubbing work across currencies, too).

This has been a long long LONG standing issue (probably going back 20
years, back to 1.6, when they removed the common-currency from accounts).
Yes, GnuCash attempts to show you the amounts in the "correct" currency
but doesn't show you what that currency is.

> The second problem is that, under some circumstances, GnuCash will
> *silently* make transaction with a nil amount (value?) on the other
> side of the split. That, in my eyes, is a bug, and should not
> happen. I'm going to make a bug report with a precise reproduction
> example.

This will only happen if you enter a transaction from a stock/mutual
account into an account of a different currency than the stock/mutual
default account.  In that case, I am *pretty* sure you can work around the
problem by expanding the splits and manually entering in the "amount" for
the other account split.

You don't need the exchange-rate dialog because those are already
represented in the stock-account view (in expanded mode).

>> When you create these transactions, are you creating them from the
>> stock account or the bank account.
>
> The problematic cases arise when I create them from the stock
> account.

Yes, this makes sense.   Are you entering them in Basic Ledger mode or in
expanded mode?

> Lionel

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com