On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 03:30:02PM +0000, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> I should have added, the particular distribution of Ubuntu I am using is
> 20.04 LTS, which installs GnuCash 3.8, which was released almost 2 years
> ago.

Which makes absolute sense of course because Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was
released in April 2020 which is getting on for two years ago now.
Plus the LTS editions of Ubuntu are aimed at being solid, tested and
stable so they tend to be conservative in their choices of software
versions.

Once a version has been chosen for a particular release of Ubuntu that
version remains unchanged for the life of the Ubuntu release.
Security and bug fixes will be done but that's all.

If you want latest (or at least later) versions of software you need
to either upgrade the Ubuntu version you're using, and keep upgrading
with the 6 monthly regular release or (not my preference) install an
appimage or a flatpack (you can get GnuCash Flatpacks from the web
site).

By the way it's fairly easy and reliable (in my experience anyway) to
upgrade Ubuntu versions if you use their offered way of doing it.  I
have gone through many versions now doing 6 monthly upgrades dating
back to somewhere like 11.04 or even earlier.  I did do one clean
install but that was because I did some rather major hardware upgrades
at the same time.

--
Chris Green