If you have multiple cards from the same bank, you'll need to differentiate them in GnuCash somehow. Some people use the last digits, some the card 'brand' which can be different, even from the same bank. (not just card 'type' though that may be sufficient)

Your Bank *might* offer you the ability to tag or nickname your transactions before import. Your Card company might offer the same, though more than likely, you'll have to do that well in advance of the transaction going through for such info to be sent to the bank.

Another option would be to manually edit the import file, appending your differentiation prior to import.

-----

As for the 'right way', I'd say the 'best way' is to always enter all of your transactions by hand. Importing should be part of the 'clearing' process prior to reconciliation.

Clear (and if possible Reconcile) the Card accounts first, then do Checking.

Reconciliation is making sure your books agree with your institution's version of your account(s). There's little point if all you are doing is importing their version anyway.