Lots of fun interest here!  Not exactly looking for accounting advice, except
how to properly encode this well understood activity so it generates a tax
report item.

Michael D Novack seems to be hinting how to do this, creating the 100% pretax
IRA/401K account in equity and, assuming it is already in existence when you
start GNUCash, using deferred income not opening balance to load it with money
and stocks.  Can you add stocks as deferred income?  I guess, just a different
currency!  As dividends arrive, they need to be characterized as deferred
income, too, even though they get used to buy more shares.

So we are chugging along, but now I get to distributions.  When I move money
from the IRA to the bank account, if I do it without a 4-split, it is just a
transfer and of no interest to the tax report, never mind being characterized
as income.  I am actually happy if it just hits the tax report, as transfers as
a 2-split are just between 2 net worth accounts.  Will that happen, or would
that be some kind of enhancement: a band aid  over the limits of the double
entry bookkeeping system?  The 4-split seems a pretty crude thing, and
especially ugly if it gets mangled out of balance in some update!

Can we devise a GNUCash programatic enhancement of the double entry bookkeeping
system that sees such transfers from a deferred tax account to a not deferred
tax account also as taxable income (and the reverse as tax sheltered, negative
income), or automatically move the money via an appropriate 4-split?  Can we
lock the automatic 4-split so it cannot be mangled out of balance?